Wednesday, March 7, 2012

PS Craft room day 2

Pin It
I must be honest. When I got home on Monday, the last thing I wanted to do was organize. And that is saying something. You see, I L-O-V-E organizing. I find it therapeutic, and actually look forward to it. But I had a rough week, in all sense of the word. And I had a fantastic weekend, which recharged me. But I did no lounging around, and all I wanted was to get home and plop in front of the TV.

I figured if I didn’t get the ball rolling, it just wouldn’t get done at all. So I mustered my courage and tackled the worst cupboardin the room. And boy, did I feel good about it!

So last night it was day 2 and I was pumped. Since I had some empty space on my bookshelves, I figured they should go next. Which made me scared. Here is a picture of what they looked like.


         
You see, I was brought up to worship books. My mamma taught me you don’t donate, sell or throw away books. They are a legacy. I think that sounds nice. Until they become a burden.

I did some long and hard thinking during the day, and came to the conclusion that I tend to:

1-      Not want to get rid of books I got as a present. Even if I never ever read it and never will. Which is ridiculous, I know. Part of me wants to please. The other part doesn’t want to offend anyone. Not a good combo.

2-     I get attached to the physical item instead of treasuring the memory. I have books I read fifteen years ago and found them ‘ok’. But I remember the summer holidays I read them as if it were yesterday. I have books about random topics, such as ‘women and contemporary art’ which mean little to me. But the professor who required that book was awesome. So I tend to clutter.

3-     I love the look of a bookshelf. And that means that if I have any empty space, I will fill it up with books. Which needs to stop.

Buying a kindle was step one. Getting rid of useless books should be step two. So here is my pile of use-less books:


And after a lot of practice in getting detached from the ghost of the books past, here is what my shelves look like now.


Yes, shoes! For several reasons:

1-      It encouraged me to purge more books.

2-     I had no place to put these shoes in my bedroom, so they were out on the floor.

3-     They are not the best smelling things in the world, I’ll be the first to admit. So leaving them out of my room if the best thing I can think of right now.

I also moved my chair around to be closer to the window, and had to move the art cupboard to the other wall because it was too tight.


Now here is what I have to tackle for the next three evenings: