Friday, April 13, 2012

Laundry day!

Pin It

No matter what we do in life, if we go into it with a good mood and a bit of organization, we come out having a better experience. Laundry is no exception to it.

I actually have a secret to confess: I love laundry. No, I don’t love loading the washer, and I don’t love spot-cleaning or ironing, but I love the feeling of clean clothes and I love having an organized, pretty and under-control laundry room.

Most books and blogs I’ve read, and most people I’ve talked to are purists. Most say you must set a routine and stick to it. Some say you need to make several piles according to color, fabric, water temperature and such. I, however, live in the real world and can’t be bothered.

I’ve tried all sorts of arrangements, and got to the point in which what works best for me is running one load through the washer and then dryer as soon as I get home from work, which means my clothes are done by the time we go to bed. Somehow, we always seem to have enough to run one load, even though it’s just my husband and I.

At loading time, I basically have six different types, which are: towels, linen, jeans, whites and light clothing, colorful and darks. I have, however, loaded some socks with linens and bright red tshirts with darks before. I usually check how much of each I have, so I can figure out what and how to load my machine. This is where having a clutter-free, organized laundry room helps: if you need to go through everything, it’s just that much tiring.

There are also two pieces of printed information useful to have in hand: a guide of label care and your machine’s user manual (mine tends to beep 4E when the water is shut off, which I would have no way of realizing unless I had the manual).