Friday, May 25, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Opportunity

Pin It
Today we are joining The Gypsy Mama for her Five Minute Friday. Here is what she has to say about it:

Around here we write for five minutes flat on Fridays.
We write because we love words and the relief it is to just write them without worrying if they’re just right or not. So we take five minutes on Friday and write like we used to run when we were kids.
On Fridays we write with gusto, unselfconscious and flat out.
Rules:
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking
2. Link back here ( and @
Gypsy Mama) and invite others to join in.
3. Please visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments.
OK, are you ready? Give me your best five minutes on: Opportunity


Some of the most important moments in our lives comes as an unforgetable action or speech. Before I attended college, I was a Rising Star, a member in a summer program for upcoming seniors in highschool to get to live in the college dorms, have classes and see how fun the city is. Those were some of the most fun five weeks of my life.

When I came back to college the following Spring (school years end in December in Brazil), I ran into one of the Rising Star assistants, who was now an Orientation Leader. My mum and I got to talking to him and he casually said 'OLs are the coolest kids on campus'. I was sold.

Some four years later I graduated as the mace bearer of my college. I had held many positions in the student involvement office and gotten a couple of awards in the process. But none of that trully mattered to me.

What did was the fact that I really think I did belong with the coolest kids on campus. The USF kids(student government  members) were movers and shakers. The SAC kids (Programming board) knew all the coolest new bands and had the most fun parties. The SOS kids (Community outreach program) taught me how to genuinely give my time, which is far more important than my money. And the OLs....well, I must say I agree with Ben, they are the coolest kids on campus.

My life would have been totally different had I ignored that one sentence I heard back in 2000. And my college memories probably wouldn't be so much fun.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm you neighbor at The Gypsy Mama. Sounds like you had a great college experience.