Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Book review: Made to Crave

Pin It
I recently read Made to Crave, by Lysa TerKeurst not once, but twice. I'd love to tell you it's because I am so in-sync with her writing, that it felt natural to go once more. It's actually because this was such a struggle for me, that I read most of it during my lunch hour, with a bowl of pasta in front of me. Oh, the shame.

Anyway, around tackling 70% of the book the first time around I realized that it wasn't going to help me. Not that the lady doesn't try. But I had to help me. And I had to ask God to help me. And the more I read it, the more Lysa helped me help myself. You know what I mean?


First of all, let me say I don't think this is a book for people who want to lose weight. It is a book for everyone who eats all sorts of junk food, knows its bad for them, and wishes they could do something about. But it is so. freakin'. hard.

Lysa does not teach us a magical diet which makes you eat healthy foods for the rest of your life. She doesn't sell pills that make your taste buds get all mixed up and crave broccoli instead of chocolate. She doesn't have a fail proof exercise plan.

She does, however, have something very powerful. She has scripture. She has insights. And she brings something new to the table, literally. In a nutshell, I'd say her book holds three truths:

1- Finding comfort in food rather than in God makes food your idol. And that is bad.
2- Eating properly and exercising regularly are parts of a purposed life. Not doing them is plain rebellion. And that is bad.
3- We need God's strenght to win this cycle. And that is good.

Of course she doesn't put it like that. The woman obviously knows how to write things to make them sound funny and nice, and I am just a meanie. And these three bullet points don't mean I have saved you from spending the price of the book. No, ma'am. The book has so much more. It doesn't matter if you are a size zero or a size sixteen, like myself (for now). If you ever felt guilt about your food choices, chances are you could use reading this book once. Or twice.