Tuesday, September 11, 2012

11 years after September 11

Pin It
 
Disclaimer: I found this picture in three people's facebook accounts and two different blogs. None shared the source, and therefore I am unable to do so. If you know who's to be credited, let me know!
 
I woke up with the phone ringing. One of those ringings that seem not to be able to stop. When I managed to cross the living room to pick it up, I heard my family's maid at the other end of the line. Considering that I had been living in the States for two years and never once gotten a phone call from her, I was scared. Considering that my dad and brother had flown back to Brazil the night before, I was double-scared.
 
As she began talking, I could tell she felt so silly. The guard across the street had told her the US was being bombed and she didn't quite believe him, but was desperate to know I was ok. I looked out of my peaceful Savannah apartment half expecting to see smoke. We are all ok I said. I'm sure he is wrong.
 
As I turned the TV I immediately saw the replay of the first tower being hit. Plane accident, I though. Someone is bound to lose their job. As my mom joined me, the second tower was hit. Oh, yeah, it's on replay, I told her. She screamed that it had just happened, that it was a different plane. It didn't seem to make any sense.
 
Later that day I remember having to tour the city with the incoming freshman class as an Orientation Leader. I remember our boss' grave face as he explained we had to show support, and the activity would no longer be mandatory. It was all so fresh we didn't even know whether we should just cancel it. That's when I understood how people go into shock and don't even know whether to carry on or just plop down in disbelief.
 
To all those impacted by that day, there is only one thing I can say:
 
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord make his face to shine upon you,
and be gracious to you.
May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you,
and give you peace.