Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A wholehearted year: serving

Pin It

I've been talking about a wholehearted year. If you missed out, start here.



If praying is something I struggle with, not so much when it comes to serving. I was raised in a family that goes above and beyond, went to a school that believes in the power of Christian service, and enjoyed opportunities in college and after on many shapes and forms of community service. From bathing horses to installing house insulation, from playing bingo with elders to basketball with inner city kids, you name it, I've probably done it.

But I have a problem. A big one.

If someone asks me why, I'm not sure what I'll answer.  And if the honest answer does come out, it won't really be a pretty one.

Most of the time, it was because I am a good girl, and that is what good girls do. We act selflessly and then we bask on the praise we get. Or we get slammed with doing too much for too many people because we cannot imagine saying no and hurting some one's feelings. Well, it turns out Jesus has something to say about that:

“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. 
If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven." Matthew 6:1

Ouch. 

So in this wholehearted year, I am pulling stops on my involvement and service. Yes, I will serve, because it is the Christian thing to do. But serving to impress others? Serving out of a sense of obligation that is only fed by pride? I am saying no to that.